Memories from Elan

For all general discussion of any kind.

Memories from Elan

Postby sheilambaker » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:00 pm

I was in Elan in 1974 and was released in 1976. Two years is usually when the state stops paying then they let you go. Good behavior had nothing to do with your leaving. Jeff Gottlieb was my first director. Does anyone remember the primal--when you turn the lights off and scream out your angry feelings. Other things that come to mind are general meeting, the ring, various job positions like the Ramrod, Expeditor, Cheif Expeditor and who could forget shot-down and the dunce cap. Remember you had to knock on the door they would say come in and start yelling. I was transferred to Parsonfield after myself, Cheryl Smith, Louis Ortiz, Keith Springfield and Maryellen Westerfield try to run away. Also they had trailers where some staff stayed and who could forget the football team. Joe Ricci's pride and Joy. Remember the cook John and his wife who worked in the administrative offices. Remember we could smoke cigarettes at 13 years old. The best thing I remember was that we ate well. Elan has been featured on several shows but still remains open--why I don't know it wasn't a good or effective program. Although I had bad experiences, I have done well and made a good life for myself.
Last edited by sheilambaker on Sat May 14, 2011 10:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
sheilambaker

Re: Memories from Elan

Postby dannyb50 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:28 am

Shelia I remember you, you were in Elan 4 Parsonfield, my name is Danny Bennison, I was a staff member, the other staff was Rick Rosenhaus, James McCann, Larry Smaller and the Director was Peter McCann (he has since died along with Joe Ricci) . I was also a resident in E3 and E5. In 1976 I was in the re-entry phase when I became a staff at Parsonfield. Yes Elan did a lot of damage to our psyche no doubt.
I do remember Louis Ortiz, he was from Bridgeport CT, I think you were from CT, too, I also remember Cherly Smith and Keith Springfield. I was originally from Rhode Island then my parents moved back to their hometown of New Britain, CT.
Yes I remember football we played against one another (houses) Elan 5 won the Championship the first year and Parsonfield Elan 4 won it the second year.
Nice to hear from you and to see you are doing well.
dannyb50

Postby sheilambaker » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:24 pm

Does anyone remember Reggie Jones? I think he was from Connecticut. He later was moved to Parsonsfield. I am wondering how he is doing. This was from 1974 to 1976. Does anyone remember Maryellen Westerfield. I know she died and I know how she died. She was a good person but couldn't find her way in life.

I hope the everyone is doing well.
sheilambaker

Postby Ken Zaretzky » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:41 pm

I knew both of them but I have no idea what happened to either.
Ken
Ken Zaretzky

Postby dannyb50 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:00 pm

sheilambaker wrote:Does anyone remember Reggie Jones? I think he was from Connecticut. He later was moved to Parsonsfield. I am wondering how he is doing. This was from 1974 to 1976. Does anyone remember Maryellen Westerfield. I know she died and I know how she died. She was a good person but couldn't find her way in life.

I hope the everyone is doing well.

Reggie Jones was from Boston, Dorchestor along with Christain Amato and John Hardy. They were all at E-3 when I got there in 6/75. Reggie and John did go to E-4.
dannyb50

Postby MichaelH » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:18 am

Danny, were you a Coordinator at Elan in August of 1976? When you arrived, did you have a stutter problem?
MichaelH

Postby Douglas Hannah » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:38 am

yes i remember mary ellen,we got caught having sex,thenlater in poland springs i also got caught having sex with magna rivera ,is doing okay.alot of people you ask about live right here in Bridgeport or new haven.like your friend cheryl hudson.if you ever want to talk to me iam on facebook or when i can here.my work is geting ready to pick up.
Douglas Hannah

Postby dannyb50 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:37 pm

Douglas,
when were you there because I think I remember Cheryl Hudson.
dannyb50

Postby Douglas Hannah » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:15 am

Danny,when i was at parsonfield,me an keith springfield were handcuff together,then there was roseavelt jackson,who i had to fight.remember that kid that try to jump from the roof,an broke his jaw.but shilea bean,cherly hudson,mike brawlsfrod,the list goes on.when i was in waterford ther was mike webb an his brother tim from R.I. .IN waterford you had a lot of people from Boston during that time,i was 13yrs old then.by the time i left i was in poland springs cherly smith,David page,joey guzmen,danny turner,Bobby jones,the list goes on plus i got caught having sex with mega Rivera in the girls house.by the time i left for a school in n.y called hoosic ,i was 18yrs old.now i am 51yrs .hope to see a few more years.DANNY I ALSO have been trying to place you.
Douglas Hannah

Postby dannyb50 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:03 pm

Douglas Hannah wrote:Danny,when i was at parsonfield,me an keith springfield were handcuff together,then there was roseavelt jackson,who i had to fight.remember that kid that try to jump from the roof,an broke his jaw.but shilea bean,cherly hudson,mike brawlsfrod,the list goes on.when i was in waterford ther was mike webb an his brother tim from R.I. .IN waterford you had a lot of people from Boston during that time,i was 13yrs old then.by the time i left i was in poland springs cherly smith,David page,joey guzmen,danny turner,Bobby jones,the list goes on plus i got caught having sex with mega Rivera in the girls house.by the time i left for a school in n.y called hoosic ,i was 18yrs old.now i am 51yrs .hope to see a few more years.DANNY I ALSO have been trying to place you.

Douglas come on over to the Facebook "I went to Elan School" site and look up Matt Hoffman and others. I was in YCC and the Diagnostic Center (Cranston or Warwick) with Bobby Jones. I also got shot down for talking about running away with him from E-3. Shit I had only been there a month or so, I was still on "service crew". Jeff Gottlieb was the Director along with Wendy Freeman staff.
Man these names, Mike Webb, Cherly Smith, Danny Turner, Cherly Hudson, Shelia Bean, Keith Springfield and Roosevelt Jackson.
I was in E-3 6/75 - 10/75 then transferred to E-5 until I graduated 1/77. I worked at Elan after I graduated. I worked at E-4 1/77 - 2/77 then at E-7 till 6/78. I left in late 78 and moved to Louisiana, worked the Oil rigs in the Gulf until I joined the Marines.
dannyb50

Next

Return to General Discussions