RIP Ken Zaretzky

For all general discussion of any kind.

RIP Ken Zaretzky

Postby Peter Moore » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:06 pm

Ken passed away Monday, February 7, 2011. His brother Mark said on Facebook that it appears to be natural causes. In shock right now, so not writing much.

Rich, if you're on here, please advise as to the future of Elanalum.com. I want to make sure this site stays online for years to come. Ken would want us to keep "the promise."
Peter Moore

Re: RIP Ken Zaretzky

Postby Admin » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:20 pm

It with deep regret that I must confirm Pete Moore's post about the passing of Elan Alum's Founder, Ken Zaretzky. Ken passed away sometime Sunday evening while watching Television. Ken leaves behind a wife and 3 daughters. The funeral will be held at the Piser Funeral Services in Skokie, Illinois.

I am write this with a heavy heart because I knew Ken for almost 15 years. Ken was always outspoken about the issues concerning Elan and its effect on the people that went there. He was nether champion for or against about what Elan was or is. Ken was a champion about keeping the Elan promise of ALWAYS have a place to turn to to find a friend or have someone to talk to.

I intend to keep keeping that promise.

Since Ken was footing the bill for server this site now resides on, it will have to be moved to another server. Luckily, I have a place to put it at least in the short term. The work on the new site is 95% mine, so I will continue to work on it.

Peace, Ken. You will be missed by many, many people.

Please join me in keeping Ken and his family in our thoughts during this tough time.

Rich Westcott
Elan 6, 1978-1980
Elanalum Webmaster
Richard Westcott
Elan 6, 8/2/1978 - 6/22/1980
Elan Alum Webmaster
Admin
Site Admin

Postby dannyb50 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:37 am

I am sorry to hear this news. My condolences to his family.
I knew Ken for a time while we were at Elan.
dannyb50

Postby maryGZ » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:18 pm

Rich you really are one of the good guys!
My prayers go out to Kens family he will be missed
maryGZ

Postby HappyLynn0724 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:51 pm

My thoughts and prayers are with Kens' family. He was always doing so much for others. I know my life is richer for having had the blessing and priveledge of knowing him. I was able to meet others from my era at Elan in Il, thanks to Ken. He touched so many peoples lives in so many different and beautiful ways. I am thankful he shared his family with me, and I pray his transition is a peaceful one. His daughter was only maybe 10 or 11 and now she is in her early twenties, time does fly by. I remember his wife and daughter being so open and friendly. I pray they find peace in the memories they have of Ken. May God Bless then at this difficult time.-K. lynn Corning
HappyLynn0724

Postby Rowsdower » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:59 am

Pete, Rich, it's Ben.

I'm so sorry to hear this. I wish I hadn't lost touch with Ken after I moved from Illinois. I read about it here a couple months ago but I didn't know what to say. I still don't.

While I was typing this message I saw I had a message in my inbox here. It was from Ken, last August, asking me to give him a call.

He tried to look out for all Elan people, including the ones who were jerks to him. He never excluded anybody, even if he completely disagreed with them. He viewed all Elan Alum as family - even if some of us were nuts, we couldn't be disowned. He felt a responsibility to give us a place to gather and be heard. The people who gave him so much shit didn't understand that. He didn't really care if you thought Elan was the worst place in world. If you were in Elan, you were family. I'm not saying he was a saint, but when it came to Elan he spent a pretty remarkable amount of time and energy building up the site and helping people connect and share their experiences, and it was always a place for everybody, not just those who agreed with him. And while he'd probably be the first to admit he had a huge ego, he didn't do it so that people would tell him how great he was - he did it because he felt it was the right thing to do.

Rich, if you need any help with the new site let me know. I can't do any technical stuff but if there's anything else I can don't hesitate to ask.
Rowsdower

Postby faris » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:06 am

you were either in 8 or 5...if the 1992 in your name means the year you were there, then it was e-8 since 5 was closed by then
faris
faris

Return to General Discussions