Elan closing down 4/1/2011

For all general discussion of any kind.

Elan closing down 4/1/2011

Postby EarlyAlum » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:04 pm

I have received word, and seen a copy of a letter sent to current parents stating that the school is shutting down effective 04/01/2011.

I'm sure this will bring up many emotions for all of us, but this is the end.
EarlyAlum

Re: Elan closing down 4/1/2011

Postby Peter Moore » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:40 pm

David Bergeron, a teacher of mine from Elan, just posted the news on Facebook.
Peter Moore

Postby EarlyAlum » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:22 pm

EarlyAlum

Postby Kenny Russell » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:35 pm

I have taken sometime to read the neagative that were posted on a website and found that they were just more of the same by the same group of people. I also found that those posting don't have the balls to disclose their names.....cowards. I arrived at elan in April of 1976 and was there in April of 2011 when they locked the place down. This was really a sad day as elan helped so many while others fell by the weigh side. I was one of elan's most controvesial residents as shocked waves went thru the psyschatric community when it leanred that I was going to be sent to elan from the state of R.I. Even elan wasn't sure if I was going to stay till after a couple of months of montoring me after I arrived. In the end they decided to keep me even after R.I. cut off the funding for my stay there. Let me just say this; I spent 18 months there that was pure hell and thank god it was. It gave me the strentgh to continue in the real world even after I fell and picked myself up. I returned to elan on a vist and told them that I fell and expalined how. They simply asked "what did u learn?". I didn't hear "I told you so". In fact, I told them they told me so. So many kids with high IQ's travled down that dirt road where I was averge IQ but they lacked the common sense that I had. They missed the boat on what elan was all about. elan was about self-help, true they kicked you in the ass to kick start you but in the end it was one's choice as to what they diid after leaving elan. I guess it's easier to blame others for our failures than accept responsabilty. And one more thing. While at elan I saw kids that didn't belong there and was removed while other who did not belong there stayed but was never dealt with harshly like I was. But, I got what when I needed at elan and I count my blessing's. At 4;30 am on April 1, 2011 I sat and walked thru elan 3 alone and loved it, thouhght about my stay there and all that went on there and the journey my life has taken since graduating. I have no regrets, after all how can one regret something they grew from. Thank you elan and thank you Jeff Gottlieb for riding my ass the whole time I was there. My name is Ken Russell I'll continue to move forward whether it be by large steps or small one's. Ths is a positive post so no dought many including the media will not pay attention. I guess it's time to write a book myself if I can.
Kenny Russell

Postby dannyb50 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Kenny good to hear from you again. If I remember you correctly I played football against you. You played for Peter Mc Canns team and I played for Marty's. We had some games on that field by Elan 3.
Nice to hear you are doing so well.
dannyb50

Postby Kenny Russell » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:52 pm

No Danny, you got the wrong guy. I could have been used as the football. I'm short and light..........or was till I put a few pounds on. Now I'm losing it. However, I believe you are the same Danny that came over to Warterford where I spent most of my stay at 6. I also heard you married another graduate who was from Hartford. Her name was Jenine, a thin brunnette. I was told that by another graduate in person. And I'm doing ok and I have my own business that I struggled with for a long time but I'm off and running now. Richard Westsott built and runs my website; http://www.pmsmeats.com. I came up with a great marketing ploy; PMS, Everyone Should Have It More Often! it's an attention getter and let me tell you I get a lot of attention because of that. I have to say it was ingeniuos. I understand you came from R.I. but are originally from Ct. Or you live in Ct. now. Richard lives outside of Hartford in Vernon. I'm doing ok given my back ground and went further than elan ever anticipated and I keep in touch with Jeff Gotlieb by visits to Maine or I call his cell phone. I droped him off Friday at home after they locked elan down and we talked on the way and thought it was a hell of a journey that our lives and elan took. We argeeed that we should write a book and that hollywood could't even dream up a script of the events that took place in the woods of Poland, Maine. Anyway ,I believe I'm talking to the the same Danny that came over from 5 when I was in Warterford. Take care........
Kenny Russell

Postby dannyb50 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:36 pm

Kenny Russell wrote:No Danny, you got the wrong guy. I could have been used as the football. I'm short and light..........or was till I put a few pounds on. Now I'm losing it. However, I believe you are the same Danny that came over to Warterford where I spent most of my stay at 6. I also heard you married another graduate who was from Hartford. Her name was Jenine, a thin brunnette. I was told that by another graduate in person. And I'm doing ok and I have my own business that I struggled with for a long time but I'm off and running now. Richard Westsott built and runs my website; http://www.pmsmeats.com. I came up with a great marketing ploy; PMS, Everyone Should Have It More Often! it's an attention getter and let me tell you I get a lot of attention because of that. I have to say it was ingeniuos. I understand you came from R.I. but are originally from Ct. Or you live in Ct. now. Richard lives outside of Hartford in Vernon. I'm doing ok given my back ground and went further than elan ever anticipated and I keep in touch with Jeff Gotlieb by visits to Maine or I call his cell phone. I droped him off Friday at home after they locked elan down and we talked on the way and thought it was a hell of a journey that our lives and elan took. We argeeed that we should write a book and that hollywood could't even dream up a script of the events that took place in the woods of Poland, Maine. Anyway ,I believe I'm talking to the the same Danny that came over from 5 when I was in Warterford. Take care........

No I am not that Danny, Mike O'Neil was transferred to E-6. I grew up in R.I. then once I got out of the service (Marines) I moved to Hartford CT. My parents were orginally from CT. just outside of Hartford. Most of my relatives live in CT.
Yes you should write a book, it would be a #1 seller. Congrats on your business adventure. Elan has produced many entrepreneurs we are grinders. I also have my own business which has been going well for some 25 years. I am blessed.
Kenny stay in touch. I travel to New England at least twice a year I would like for a bunch of us to meet up that were in Elan. Many still live in R.I. from different times.
dannyb50

Postby Kenny Russell » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:50 pm

Danny give a shout when u come to R.I. The last time a bunch of people got together was in Chicago. Ken Z. set it up and that was several years ago. u can contact me thru my website pmsmeats.com or Richard Westcott and he better stay on top of this website this time. It crashed twice already tho not his doing. But he has full control of it now. I talked with Mike O'niel a couple of times already. He's From R.I. but was living somewhere else but he visits R.I. often in the summer time. I think he has family in Narraganssett or Point Judith. I went to the search on face book "I went to elan" and found a lot of photo's. I also read some posts and they ganged up on you. A bunch of babies as far as I'm concerned. I was there and saw what on and ad all these years to think about it. I'm convinced they has it right back in the 70's based on what I see now in society. Mar Rosenberg gave some input as well with regards to cost and othe programs and they challenged him as well when all he wanted to do was point out some financial facts. I was in the house with Mark Rosenberg. Keep in touch Danny
Kenny Russell

Postby dannyb50 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:50 pm

As far as Christmas time Mike O'Neil was in Wakefield R.I. and sometimes in So.Kingston. I keep track of him often, good dude. I have his phone# if ya want it. I am sure it is OK.
Tell me and I will email it to you.
dannyb50

Postby Kenny Russell » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:19 pm

Danny to me South Kingston, Wakefield, Narragassett, point judith...it's all the same to me. It's South County and I love it in the summer. Ilove it outside from sun up to sun down. A team of wild horse and naked woman couldn't get me inside. I sent you an email at your yahoo account. So, sure send his contact info to me when you reply to my email. I talked with him sevral times already. Yes good guy. a long road for him but in the end he diid ok. He's not dead thank god. talk to you son
Kenny Russell

Next

Return to General Discussions