Friends of Ralph

For all general discussion of any kind.

Friends of Ralph

Postby ChiefExpeditor » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:36 pm

Hey I know theres got to be alot of people who's lives were touched by Ralph Maldonado.Man that guy was a trip.I used to laugh my ass off at some of the shit that he would say.I was there in about 86-87 i did 18 months and graduated.I got the plaque in my closet.Im proud of it.It was a bitch.Ide like to see more people join this site.I met Mickey Heart the drummer from the GD there.What a trip.
ChiefExpeditor

Re: Friends of Ralph

Postby The Doug » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:35 pm

I was in Elan for a few months when Ralph was hired. He became director of Elan 7 for a while.
(one of many)

Ralph was different. Had a different approach and idea of "concept"
I think the biggest problem I had with any of it was...every single adult there had an answer for everything. I talked to Ralph often and it was refreshing because he didnt "know it all". I spoke to him a few times after I left Elan too and he took the time to have a conversation. Loved his stories about "sing-sing prison" and how he got his face and neck cut "from ear to ear"

I think about Ralph from time to time. I think Elan's freakishness overwhelmed his compassionate disposition eventually and he became another robot. He was tough but he listened. With a prison mentality he convinced me and others that we dont want to walk down the same roads he did and he was interested in letting us know how not to. I was close a few times, but have not seen the inside of those walls yet. Life is good and I owe a small thanks to Ralph Maldonado.

Years ago I read here or somewhere that he and Maria had HIV and both died of AIDS. Not sure what to believe, dont really care to know. I'm just happy I knew him. Not every day you meet people like Ralph. Wish it could have been different circumstances though.
The Doug

Postby brimodt » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:41 am

What ever happened to Ralph he was one house director E 5 when i was there. It seemed like he always gave the same speeches to the house and during general meetings but when you talked to him one on one you releazied how much life experience he had. looking back he made the biggest impression on me ( staff wise) while i was there.
Brian M
brimodt

Postby Adam » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:14 pm

Ralph was hardcore. Maria was hardcore. You couldn't out-hardcore them....they'd beat you every time in the war-story department. Difference was all of their stories were true.

Their experience gave them wisdom. Their heart and patience allowed them to give what they had to us.

Ya, they both died of AIDS. They were both awesome.
Adam

Postby AROYA » Sun May 17, 2009 5:30 pm

IWAS IN E3 THEN E7 RALPH WAS ONE OF THE ONLY STAFF THAT KNEW WHERE YOU WERE COMING FROM AND DID NOT JUDGE I ALSO MET THE DRUMMER FROM THE GD SO AND REMEMBER SCOTT COHEN ALWAYS GETTING OUT OF HIS PANS
AROYA

Postby smalpree » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:06 pm

Ralh and maria Were E-8 When i was there in e-3. I never really trusted jeff g. BUt I could talk to Ralph and Maria. I had heard Ralph passed away several years ago and I managed to get Maria's phone number and talked to her for a bit. There were 3 staff I trusted there, Ralph, Maria and Dave. I actully miss them. The rest I can live without. But I was really heart broken for maria and her loss. It has been several years now and I have no idea where she is now. But I still respect them both.
smalpree

Postby Ursula1989 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:58 pm

Wow, I am so glad to hear that Ralph Maldonado touched the lives of those who posted on here, as he did mine. I could not help but pay tribute as well to a man that assisted me in coming to terms with who I was and the things I chose to do in my life. Ralph was like a father to me...truely. I enjoyed those long un-interrupted lectures about life and the pursuit of...I enjoyed his accent, his facial expressions when he would get mad or even laugh...half of his face was paralyzed. He was truely a vessel of experience, wisdom, and was mighty in battle. He fought for his right to be heard and understood by the young folks. I really loved his spirit. Although he end up paying the price of a life out of control...he spent the most important years of his life enlightening others on how to overcome and regain control of what seems at the time, to be the impossible. I credit him....I listened to every word as though it was guaranteed money in the bank. I will always cherish what he instilled in me. I feel as though I am an accomplished individual...in family, life, love, and the pursuit of...!
Ursula1989

Postby ziecrew » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:23 am

My name is John Ziebell and I was in Elan from 1985-1987. I remember Ralph very well. In fact, he was my director for some time. I can still remember his candid stories and graphic description of everything he told including, what he did that morning in the shower. Oh MY GOD !!!! Can someone pass me the Queen Hellene? Ha Ha Ha !!
ziecrew

Postby 85-86@E8 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:34 am

I remember both very well. When I got there Ralph was dir at 7 and Maria was at 5. Then they closed 7 and made it re-entry and Ralph went to 5 also. I also remember when he was diag'ed with HIV and both died. :(. Very sad. Ralph is perhaps best described as "real".

RIP.
85-86@E8

Return to General Discussions